Thursday, June 30, 2011

Justice

This last Monday was my second trip to court for our beloved dog. It was eye opening. Actually, I'd say terrifying. At least this time someone was watching the girls. For anyone who has not had the pleasure of gracing a courtroom, all of the offenders had to sit and wait for the judge to show up. Then the clerk read lists of names (you'd go up in groups), she'd read all of the charges against you, then the judge would tell you the sentence and/or fine. Nothing was private - financial status, numbers of previous offenses, and so on - it was quite a change from health care where your own family can't know a thing without you signing a stack of paper.
The judge was merciless. I understand you have to be firm and stern (you could see how much crap went on), but he was more like condescending and ruthless. He mocked people, kicked people out, and seemed to enjoy making everyone there feel like idiots. He remembered me enough to point out that things were obviously a lot calmer for me without my kids and still increased the fine from what the prosecutor had asked for. At least it wasn't the thousand he'd originally threatened.
I left there feeling sad for society. Homeless, jobless, kids there for drug and alcohol charges with no parents in the room, young parents there for shoplifting, domestic abuse cases, all kinds of drug charges, and I left before they were even half-way done. Granted, I wasn't looking at a murder trial, but the reality of what I was seeing really hit me. No one aspires to be homeless, go to jail, or be an addict. And growing up with the doctrine of Christ being taught, justice was always taught with the principle of mercy. There is no mercy in the courtroom. How can there be? I know you feel bad about breaking the law, let's work on your change of heart, we'll help you get a better job, get you some counseling, you can apologize, work back the damage, and things will be OK. That will not work in this earthly life. There has to be justice. I just had my eyes open to how final it is.
How do you get a job after you've gone to jail? Who hires you? How do you get into a college to get a better job? Who pays your bills while you're in the slammer and have no income? These people we send away for punishment more often come out much worse off than they were before. I don't know that I have answers, but it was frightening to contemplate all of this as I watched this judge make everyone tremble.
I was glad to be done with the whole affair. I hope to never be back there again. So to any of you potential law breakers out there - DON'T DO IT! It's not worth it. And be careful if you live somewhere that even minor violations - a dog off a leash - sends you to court.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

OH my goodness. What an ordeal. I'm glad that you were able to be there without your girls this time. I'm sure made your stress level much lower.

Our society is sad and getting sadder. But there is hope. There is ALWAYS hope.

Kristin said...

What a great lesson (not necessarily a great experience...) to learn from the courtroom. I learned quite a bit from your post. I'm sure you will be much more merciful to people after all of this, and hopefully, I will be too!