Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fodder Mountain and the Ocean


Katie can't get enough of playing outside. After a stretch of rainy days we were excited to get out and dig in the dirt. Well, I was weeding and Katie was relocating everything from rocks to dirt to her toy frog.
This is Katie's beloved "fodder mountain."

This is the little parade our family makes when we have an outing. We went to a hot air balloon festival for a few hours on Saturday. My favorite part was the live music, I think Katie's was the sasparilla, Jeremy's the sky-divers, and I don't think Sydney or Cora got much more out of it than a nice long ride in the stroller.
Jeremy had three days of unused vacation we had to use before July. We spent it picking strawberries and making jam, canoeing, and going to the beach! Each trip was quite the effort. Picking strawberries with a 14lb kid strapped to your chest is quite the work-out, not to mention stopping Katie from stepping on the plants. We got rained on in the canoe, but still had so much fun. The beach was beautiful. The water was pretty intimidating to Katie and the water was too cold to really get in, so we chased seagulls and played in the sand.
There's my handsome honey with Sydney. She looks a little like a pirate to me with her eye half covered.
Life in three-kid land is crazy. Cora and Sydney can both roll over (I think they play steam-roller in their crib sometimes), and they both try to sit up now. They grab anything close to them, including my hair and earrings or any cup or utensil you are trying to use while holding them. Katie is currently buckling every buckle in the house. She puts her dolls in the twins' car seats and swings and says, "oh, thank you Katie." She had a fever out of the blue this last Thursday night through Friday. She was so sweet the whole time she had her fever and so happy - it was the most bizarre thing. But if she's happy when she's got a fever, so am I.
Strange to think that a year ago this week is when we closed on this house. I can't believe how much life has changed from just a year ago. I just got off the river from Burn Camp and flew out with Katie to Boston, then caught the shuttle to here. Jeremy drove cross-country with our dog and his dad. Since then we've been here we've had two more kids, planted a garden, met some incredible people through work, the neighborhood, and church. Jeremy's finished his first year of being an anesthesia resident. We've been through moments of feeling on top of the world and moments like we're drowning. We never could have done any of this without such amazing parents, family, friends, and the mercy of a loving Heavenly Father who is so aware of our every need and gives us chances to learn and grow. I've learned (or relearned) that always being stubborn and independent can make you isolated and miserable and that there really is joy in letting others serve you as much as in serving others. It's been hard to realize how much help I've needed with our family from pregnancy with the twins to even now. But it's been such a blessing to see the love and compassion of so many people, even total strangers. Here's to another year in New Hampshire, and another year of knowing the greatest things in life are the people you love.


8 comments:

Julie said...

What an adorable little family you guys have created. And Jami - you look amazing!

The Bills Clan said...

Wow your hair is really curly! And you look super skinny,it must be from feeding those chunky monkeys and chasing Kate. You have the cutest family! Can't wait to see you guys in a few months. Hug the girls for me.

Melanie said...

Amazing! I'm glad you had a good time. Makes up for all the hard times.

Camille English said...

You gotta love it when vacation time means just spending time as a family. there isn't much more you can do when they are little but ooh does it get fun as they get bigger.
your Katie is about the same age as my girls. I'm really loving this age!

Michele said...

Jami, I can't even believe how you do it! Just one is work enough! :) I'm so glad you have help out there and they are such beautiful girls. You look great. Thanks for your messages and example, it's crazy how life has a way of changing a person- especially through motherhood. It's only been 5 weeks for me but I feel like a completely different person! :) I love your perspective on life and how much fun you have when you do get out to play! Yay for summer is all I gotta say! :) Love you!

Kristin said...

"Fodder mountain" cracked me up. The girls are all SO cute... I love the cleft chins. :)
And I agree with Michele in that you are amazing! I'm glad we get to see your happenings even though we are states apart!

Nate and Di said...

I loved this post--I think you wrote that just for me! And I agree, having your husband off for a couple of days is the best!

Sarah said...

Which beach did you go to? I grew up a few miles from the ocean and it was never warm enough to get in. Of course that didn't always stop us.

We are so sad we won't be in New Hampshire this summer. We will definitely make it next year!!! We'll see how much can change between now and then...