Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pruning

Well, I tried to post about this before I left New Hampy, but as I was reading it to my mom I hit some crazy key and erased the whole entry, so here I am trying to recap whilst my little girls sleep and I'm wishing I was here in Cedar City, Utah.

My mom came out to visit us October 16th. She was staying for a week and then she and I were flying back West with the three little girls for a couple of weeks before Jeremy would come out to join us. The morning before she came Jeremy and I spent most of the morning out in the garden digging up plants and pruning the raspberry bushes since we'd had a few frosts and new the season was over. I thought about our little garden with pride. We were very blessed with our crops and I learned a few things in the process.

Our cherry tomato plants were enormous. Jungle size. I trimmed the plants 5 times throughout the season as they continued to overshadow the peppers, zucchini, and regular tomato plants. I would watch, tend to, and trim the garden and think "take care of what you've got." I doubt that's grammatically correct, but what I was seeing was by letting some of the plants grow unchecked, I was putting the entire crop in danger. The huge plants were taking the sun and nutrients from the surrounding plants, and even the cherry tomato plant itself began to have a diminished crop. There was not enough strength in the plant to support all of the growth and continue to produce as well as it had.

Put this together with President Uchtdorf's talk about simplifying and I can't help but apply it to life. As good as growth (aka - more good things to do) may be, there is a tipping point when it is no longer a good thing, but a drain on what you currently have/are. Small confession: as much as I don't want to, I do compare myself at times. I see other people my age doing different things that are wonderful with their lives and wonder if I should be doing it too (because apparently mothering 3 under 3 isn't enough for myself at times). Then I think of this lesson and realize if I don't take care of what I have and continually try to add more to my plate, our little family and my soul will suffer from being malnourished.

I'm not advocating doing nothing, being a sloth, or thinking life is always perfect the way it is. But just as with the plants in our garden, controlled growth brings the greatest crop from the garden. It takes a lot of courage and strength to simplify life, and a constant effort to keep the important things in the top priority slots.

The comment overhead about mothering my 3 under 3 not being enough was indeed sarcastic. There are so many days when I am reduced to tears as I strive just to feed all of us all three meals and actually get out the door to anything. It's hard for me right now to figure out what to simplify. I can't say "I don't feel like putting dinner together tonight." That means the five of us starve. I can't say "I don't want to do laundry or change bums today." That would mean sore bottoms and no clothes to wear. So often what gets dropped is food and drink for myself, personal scripture study, and exercise. Yet those are the things that really help me have the strength I need to give this family everything. There is no all reaching answer here other than to be aware and continually assess the important things, always seeking a balance. I'm so grateful for inspired counsel from our apostles and prophets that helps me make the changes I need in my life. I want to remember this lesson of simplifying and pruning as our family continues to grow (I'm talking in age now, not numbers) and keep my eye out for unruly growth so our crop will be good.

1 comment:

Camille English said...

Amen.

I feel the same way. Since being called as Primary President in our ward Chris and I have really had to re-prioritize. We are very selfish about our Family time. We have cut out a lot of the t.v. shows we used to enjoy but knew they weren't inviting the spirit. I don't waste my time on having a 'perfect' house and perfect looking children. We live a simple life and thats what we want our children to know. You are amazing Jami and I have always looked up to you. I find myself trying to model some of the things in my life after you. like fitting in scripture study while I eat breakfast (I love multi-tasking). All that matters in the end is that we raise responsible strong women right? Right!