Sunday, October 31, 2010

There's No Place Like...

We've been in Cedar City now just over a week. What a week it has been. The day before we left, Sydney and Cora had their 9 month well check and did not pass. The stinkers are below the 5th percentile (though for twins they're actually doing really well and are growing fine, they're just small), and they both had ear infections. Since we were flying out the next morning the doc gave me an antibiotic script for them and told me to be liberal with the Tylenol and Motrin. We got on the plane and we were doing well, Sydney was about asleep and then just vomited everywhere. My girls were pukers before, but this was out-right vomit. The woman in front of was was ready to vomit herself. So I handed my mom Miss Cora and got down on the floor with paper towels and water and scrubbed it out of the carpet on the plane (the flight attendants gave me glovees). Nothing else exciting that day, we made it to Salt Lake, drove down just fine, and the girls even slept all night. Next day Sydney puked at lunch. We thought, OK, maybe a 24 hour thing, I think we're done.

All of the fam showed up Sunday night (minus Ann's hubby and my own with their jobs). So we had 8 kids in this house with only 1 over the age of 3. Four were all born this last year. There were just not enough arms for how many babies we had. Sydney threw up that night and we thought this has got to be it. I bought her some Pedialyte, she drank it and we thought we were OK.

We wanted to get some family pics of all the grandkids together and decided to do that Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning comes and as we're feeding the twins breakfast Sydney has everything come up again. It's so sad because it just keeps coming. By this point she's looking too skinny. Thank goodness Mom has the hook-ups here. Through her job she works with a peds office on a regular basis so they got us right in. Sydney got her first IV that afternoon. She was not impressed, but the gal was a rockstar and got it in on the first poke. We gave her fluid, she perked up, we took her home and thought all was well. She threw up again Wednesday afternoon as we were getting stuff ready for my dad's birthday dinner. And again Thursday morning. So I took Sydney in again Thursday afternoon and we got a few labs done and another IV in. Another bolus, an x-ray, we left the line in and put more fluid in her Friday morning. She'd dropped almost a pound in this whole experience. When you weigh 15 pounds, that's a big deal. But she gained almost all of it back by Friday and she has been chowing down her food over the last 2 days. She looks better and is much more interactive.

As hard as it was to be away from home, it was also a lifesaver to be at my old home because of all the family support and built-in babysitters for Cora and Katie. The Dr's office got us right in and took great care of us. I'm so glad she'd doing better now and we'll just keep fattening her up with ice cream mixed with carnation mixes.

I went for a Halloween 5K run in the morning yesterday. Then Katie, my mom, and I went to a sheep-herding parade down main street, then Katie and my dad and I went trick-or-treating last night. She loved dressing up like a witch and getting candy. I didn't like living in such a small town when I was younger. I thought it was such a lame place. It's nice to be proven wrong. This is a wonderful town with all kinds of things to do and some really amazing people. I am learning more and more that home for me is a bit of everywhere. There are things I love about everywhere I've lived. Who knows where Jeremy and I will end up, I just know I'm grateful to call so many wonderful places home.

No comments: