Sunday, August 7, 2011

Domestiwhaa??

I had hunted high and low looking for a dress with sleeves for Katie to almost no avail. I don't have the patience to keep looking, especially when it ends up being an on-line hunt, and she's at the age where it's hard to find as much used stuff because kids her age play so hard. To make a long story short I decided it would be better to make a dress. I've never made a dress. But I found a pattern and material and was pretty excited about it until I tried to read the instructions. I know the words were English, but I could not understand what it was telling me. I called a friend from church over who is an amazing seamstress and she gave me a little more liberty to use my own observations mixed in with the instructions. A few days later I had a dress made. But I hadn't put it together that the seems of clothes usually entail more than a single stitch. Her dress was unraveling after one hour of wear. Not so effective. As I was talking this dilemma over with another friend from church she offered the surger she was currently housing. After a half hour of work at my friend's house we now have a functioning dress.




I never would have thought I had it in me. I made a dress. I'm not making plans for prom or wedding dresses for these gals, but it does feel good to know I can supplement some of the basics.








1 comment:

Melanie said...

and it is such a cute dress to. Way to go MAMA!