Sunday, January 29, 2012

Not Our Best Weekend

Just trying to remember all of the fun January happenings. Three Fridays ago my lovely Katie jumped off the couch while I went upstairs to get the twins out of their nap time. I heard a "thump," then, "Waaaaahhhh!" To be honest, that's not an uncommon sound sequence in our house, so I thought nothing of it. But by the time I got the girls down the stairs, she was still screaming bloody murder and could not walk. I checked out her foot, thinking maybe she twisted her ankle or something like that, but I couldn't see anything and she was able to move her foot, even though she was still crying so hard. I figured nothing was broken, so we sat her down, elevated and iced her foot, and figured thing would get better. Turns out she must have landed on a block, or something because she had a massive bruise on the ball of her foot and some swelling on top of it. The next day, I was taking the laundry down the stairs and Syd and Cora thought they'd help. Well, Cora took a head dive down the entire steep, wooden, flight of stairs with me watching at the top. I ran down and got her and Jeremy came running. She had a bloody nose and three bumps on her head. Jeremy took her and I sat on the stairs and cried. Some lady had already felt inclined to comment on my lack of safety awareness for leaving Cora in the grocery cart unattended (little did she notice that was because I was trying to tackle Katie and Sydney into their car seats) earlier that week. After Katie having her weird foot problems (she didn't walk for two days and limped for almost three weeks), then Cora falling down the stairs, I was feeling like the least capable human being when it comes to keeping kids unbroken. However, I think Cora had angels with her because the only thing left the next morning to tell of her tumbling was a scratched knuckle - the bumps were gone. We've noticed no drastic personality changes, so I'm assuming no brain damage either. (Though that's another subject if any of you have seen Bill Cosby Himself.) But we survived. So have our girls. Yeah for confessions of the not-so-perfect parents.

1 comment:

The Bills Clan said...

Oh Jami, you make me laugh. And it is so normal for kids and bumps. Glad no one really got hurt bad. Miss those sweet girls. I can't believe the twins are 2, and they are all getting so big :) Love you guys!

Ann