Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Early November and Sick of Sick

November 1st began our so far two month long battle with all kinds of sicknesses.  Can we say we're sick of being sick?  But when we weren't vomiting or dealing with other fun things about being sick we tried to get out whenever we could.  Giant Springs Park is still a favorite and we spent one of our off days there with the girls.  
 There's a fish hatchery in the park and a place where for a nickel you can feed the fish.  These girls love it - even when mom and dad forget to bring so much as a nickel and random strangers from Kentucky donate fish food for our kids.  
 Cora and Daddy pulling faces at Mama on the hike.  
 Syd with her Daddy's hat.  
 One of the rare times we had all three in tubby time and no one was screaming.  They are cute.  

So back to being sick.  Our family kind of went into hibernation since Halloween.  Syd woke up throwing up the morning after, then had 10+ days of an on and off fever with way too much diarrhea.  That cycled through everyone over the month, then more fun came in.  We finally had insurance to get all of our girls their well-checks, and Katie needed her 5 year old immunizations (the school had called me twice to let me know she needed them).  Katie also had her first Montana eye appointment.  The closest pediatric ophthalmologist to us is three hours away in Missoula.  She and I took a day off school, she was coughing the ENTIRE drive and time there, and we drove through the beautiful canyons to get there.  It was a great trip, but that started the nasty cough we all ended up with.  About a solid week of coughing and fevers, with no medication able to really touch it.  Jeremy and the twins got it after her, then I got it right before Thanksgiving.  I forgot to mention that Katie got a rash that sent her home from school for 3 days after her immunizations.  When I got it, it made me so sick I couldn't eat anything.  Literally nothing.  I had a fever for about 12 days and could not lay down to sleep because I was coughing so hard.  There was a lot of crying in our house from just about everyone.  Jeremy still had to go to work, though he was sick too.  My mom came up the first weekend of December, which also happened to be my birthday and just fed and cared for us.  I had been to the instacare twice with no diagnosis.  We finally got me on an antibiotic that killed the fever and a steroid that mellowed the cough.  About three and a half weeks after all of that I was starting to climb out of the sick hole.  Just in time for Christmas.  We all woke up with fevers and coughs for Christmas.

I don't know how people who lived before medicine had things like this and didn't die.  They probably did die.  We're trying to get rid of all our colds we have now.  I'm a little worried that we'll all get better just in time to send the girls back to school to pick up more germs.  Hopefully this year is just giving our bodies a chance to acclimatize to school and Montana germs and next year we won't get sick.      

No comments: