Sunday, March 29, 2009

On the Treatment of Cabin Fever....

Anyone out there familiar with Muppet Treasure Island? It is one of my favorites. For those of you who don't know, there're a part in the movie when they're on the boat and the wind stops blowing. They begin to go stir crazy until one sailor declares he has the madness - cabin fever- then they all do and are bursting into song about how crazy they are since they're not going anywhere. So as I noticed the madness was setting in and winter was not about to let go of us in Spokane (it's snowing again today), the girls and I busted out of our apartment and went for a lovely hike about 5 miles away from our house. I was so excited to see some flowers! Thank goodness this was all on the West side of a hill or it would have been a slushy mess. Pele was so good on our first jaunt I decided to try her off the leash like at the dog park. That was smart of me. Well, she took off and it was VERY steep hill the trail was running horizontally across and I was not about to chase after her with Kate strapped to me. Don't know if I would have even without Kate. So I just kept calling to her as I started walking since I couldn't even see her anymore and eventually she came running back up the hill. She was so tired by the time she got close to me I was worried she'd hurt herself she was moving so slow. But, alas, she survived.



I don't think she'll be off the leash there again any time soon. But she's sure happy to go out with us on these little jaunts anyway. This picture of the trail is not what the hill looked like, but I thought it was a pretty.
Beyond our random hiking, the other things we've been doing to keep the cabin fever at bay are a little silly. For anyone who doesn't know, I worked at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2001 in Orlando Florida teaching kids about bugs. I also got to help with parade crowd control every day. Well, I'm not a huge parade fan, but the music to this is FABULOUS and I still have a CD of it. So every now and then we pop in Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade and have a little dance party - complete with parade dance moves - and sing along. What can I say? Disney makes me happy. If I knew how to put that song on the blog so people could enjoy it to or just laugh at my silliness, I would. I try to spare Jeremy the overkill, and right now Katie Lou enjoys it. Pele just looks at us and waits for the baby to puke.....



No comments: