Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sometimes I Don't Want to Be Patient

I think we all want to report how much bliss we have with our kids, but sometimes I'm so out of bliss - really patience - that I just want to sit down and cry or throw my own tantrum.  Someone, please put me in time out.  OK, it's not that bad, but at moments it feels that way.  I don't know how to have three people ask me why about everything (like why we need coats, shoes, to eat, to go to the bathroom, or why we shouldn't swing brooms at sister's head), and still be a sane person at the end of the day.  Poor Jeremy comes home and it's all I can do to not snap out answers at everyone.  Then I feel so silly for even feeling this way because none of the things I'm dealing with all day are super significant in the long run.  But after wrestling with three girls to get them out in the car just to run to the post office, then have one of them get out of her seat, smile at me as she takes her coat off and grabs everything out of the console just to throw it around then looks at me like, "whatcha gonna do about it mom?" I tend to not be so patient.  I don't even want to be patient, then some one's upset because it is actually cold enough to need a coat even though she fought not to wear it, then someone cries because not all the neighbor's toys are out, someone else cries because their hat came off, some one's gloves got stickers from the bush on them, someone peed in their pants, someone is singing someones song (a serious offense to these little women), two can't share the same book, someone took someones hair clip, some one's coloring the couch, someone ran into the doorway, someone ran away with the bin of rolled oats and is eating it in the corner, someone needs me to help them reach the toilet paper, and, oh yeah, dinner needs to be done NOW.  

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only mom out there going crazy with all this.  Then it's like I hear the little angel/devil/parental advice voices going on as well.  Be more patient and loving, they just need your attention.  Don't give them attention!  They need to learn how to manage life on their own.  Don't miss these precious moments with them - just slow down and enjoy who they are right now.  Dang it - dinner's not ready and everyone is WAY cranky because they're hungry.  So many days it just feels like you can't win.  No matter which thing you try to do right.  And at the end of the day all I really want is to eat a Lindt dark chocolate truffle, sit in a nice hot bath, and read something.  OK, I feel a little better after venting all of that.  Life's really not so hard over all, but in moments I feel slightly like a lunatic.  Here's to another day, and I can say I've done a better job over the last two weeks of not yelling quite so often.  But sometimes I think I'll need to do a ton of volunteer/Mother Theresa type of work when they get older to make amends for all of the yelling and contention that's going on right now......

Those of you who never lose your tempers, don't condemn me too much.  

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Well, I'm not one of those people that never loses my temper so don't you worry!
I know you hear this a lot- or maybe not enough?? - but you are AMAZING and you are doing an awesome job!!
Curse those devil/angel voices that tell us what to do.
I strongly believe that the Lord makes up for where/when we are weak (and for me that's all the time! ;).
I say eat the Lindt dark chocolate truffles.
And enjoy the hot baths.

The Bills Clan said...

Dear sweet Jami,
Don't feel bad at all. We are all given our unique to us, gifts and challenges. There are the days like we feel we are losing, and the days we conquer so much. By the end of the day, everyone is still alive and well, so mission accomplished right? We are all blessed with family, friends, neighbors, and ward members to help us a long in this journey. We are all here to help each other. No one is perfect, and that's why we are here. Love our conversations, and wish we lived closer to help each other out. I am trying to take my 20 minutes of quiet, like you have told me, so I hope that you do the same dear sister. I remind myself when I get frustrated with my kids that Jami does this with 3 very active girls, so I can too. This job of motherhood is the hardest, least financially paying job. But yet it is the most rewarding, entertaining, and has the greatest impact in our in homes that we might not even notice some of those blessings for years down the road. Glad we are all in this journey together.

Love and Hugs,
Ann

Michele said...

Jami I can't even TELL you how big of a fan I am of you. You're my HERO! I realized I haven't been reading your blog so I thought I'd check it and seriously, I love you. I love how honest you are with life. I love how you're not afraid to say it like it is- it IS hard. SO hard. I look up to you so much.

I do have to say that there's a reason you're their mother. You are strong, and they are going to be just as strong, which is what we're going to need in these last days. Maybe they need you to flip a cap and snap for a second so that they realize just how hard motherhood is, and how important it is for them to listen to you. Today I yelled louder than I normally do at my boys and both of them just started crying because it scared them so bad. :( I think we're all learning from eachother and like Ann said as long as we're all alive at the end of the day that's best. ;) And it's okay for them to see you on your knees pleading for help!

I love you, hang in there. You are definitely not alone!

Melanie said...

Oh Jami....I so feel for you. You are not alone. Not even close. I don't know if that offers any comfort, or just makes it worse.

Perhaps you should get on what I'm on. It's great. :) ha ha ha! It totally takes the edge off of parenting. (although I admit, it's not the answer for everyone).

I hope things are looking up today.
Love,
melanie