Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The First Part of Job Hunting

Here we are in Casper, Wyoming.  Jeremy and I are out on a whirlwind trip of trying to find our family's next adventure.  This is more to help me keep my thoughts straight about each location.  I can't say I was a huge fan of Denver (we had to fly in there and drive the 4 hours to Casper), and most people have nothing good to say about Wyoming southeast of Jackson, but I thought the wild prairie was beautiful!  It is still a wild country with antelope, cattle, and deer wandering free.  Lots of horses, farms, some oil drilling and wind turbines, and the beautiful North Platte River.  It will be cold for the winter here, and it's windy, but having lived in Rexburg, Spokane, and New Hampshire, I don't mind the wind and the cold, and Jeremy likes it better than the heat as well.  The town is well cared for, over all, and it's because of the oil companies.  If anyone hasn't known this about me before, you will now, I'm quite the liberal, and I would love to see us NEVER need gas from the middle east again and have much more efficient vehicles, etc.  But after seeing what the oil and mineral industries do for the state of Wyoming, I get the Republican mentality here.  I can't say I've changed any other political point of view, but oil and coal have built a really good community here, and it sounds like in the whole state.  
The people here have been very friendly, most people seem to know each other or of each other.  There's a strong Christian community, 3,000 members of which are Mormons.  There's a lot to do, good schools, seasons, fishing, hiking, skiing, and a good community college.  I think our family would do well here, though we are both trying to not make a decision until we've seen the other locations, both of which are a similar size with a major river running through them.  We shall see where we go.....

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I married a Wyoming boy so we are partial to that state. :) I love how peaceful it is up there. It would be fun to have you closer to us too. I'm sure you will love wherever you decide!

Melanie said...

Decisions, decisions. So many life decisions.

A very exciting time, however.

My sister-in-law and her husband just moved to Sheridan, WY. They love it.

You can't go wrong with prayers, right? The Lord will lead you to where you will do the most good.